Say Goodbye To Harry’s Market
Harry’s Market, at the corner of East Walton and Opdyke, has served many people in and around Auburn Hills for decades. According to the City’s Assessing records, the building was built in 1955 and was purchased by Harry Allos in 1973. In 1991, Mr. Steve Qarana purchased the store and now Harry’s Market has moved across the street and changed its name to Crystal Palace. The old yellow building is now vacant.
It is scheduled for demolition, but first must have all the utilities disconnected (gas, electrical, water and sewer) along with an asbestos survey that confirms the building is free of asbestos. The date of the demolition has not been determined due to the unpredictable timeline of the final utility disconnections. Once those items are completed, the owner of the building has agreed to let the Auburn Hills Fire Department perform some practice search and rescue procedures.
After the Fire Department is done training, the building will be demolished and the site will be cleared and prepped for redevelopment.
So, as you drive by, take a last look at the long time standing Harry’s Market. The store has been a well-known friend for many generations. It will soon be gone.